Backend Engineer: Ruby on Rails
With offices in Boulder, Sydney, Christchurch, Auckland, Trineo delivers custom technology solutions for global organisations. Our work tackles system integration and data brokering, API development, and highly specific customer and employee applications. As an agile team, we present a complete service offering -- with senior advisory services, product and project management, business analysis, UX, and engineering. We’re known for our ability to ship valuable work into production in complex and challenging environments.
We believe the best work is done when everyone is aligned with shared values, no matter the different skill sets, experiences, and dreams we bring. Our culture is ever-changing, evolving with every new Trineo, but our ways of working are based on principles that remain steady.
About the Role
We’re looking for a Backend Engineer to join our team in Boulder. You will be part of a growing global professional services practice in the process of expanding our worldwide footprint. You will have the opportunity to work in a diversely skilled team as described above.
What you’ll do
- Be involved in the full software development life cycle, from feature planning and estimation, through development, to delivery and testing
- Share your knowledge and learn from your team through pair programming and code review, taking and giving feedback appropriately
- Communicate effectively with your team and customer. Seek to understand others positions but know when and how to tactfully push back on inappropriate specifications.
- Maintain a strategic product perspective and articulate the financial and tactical impact of software decisions on businesses objectives.
- Understand the non-functional implications (e.g., security and performance) of your work
- Strive to do the best work you can
- Live by and champion our culture
- Adhere to agile delivery (Scrum/Kanban), continuous integration, test-driven development
- You thrive when working within an agile, cross-functional, and distributed / remote team
- You care about design patterns, architecture, and working code
- You’re able to look across the teams body of work and notice trends, patterns/anti-patterns emerging
- Bring a “figure it out” mindset, not afraid to jump in and take on new responsibilities or challenges
- You have 3+ years of overall experience
- Strong backend skills with emphasis on Ruby on Rails
- We’d prefer at least 2+ years of SQL (or related) experience
- Substantial experience architecting, creating, and documenting APIs for consumption by critical partners
- Experience working with cloud hosting technologies such as Heroku & Azure
- Experience with optimizing high-performance applications under significant load
- Service-Oriented and Monolithic Architecture
- Identity Management (Authentication and Authorization)
- A thorough understanding of security principles, common exploits and an interest in recent advisories and corresponding mitigation strategies
- Experience with Docker
We're an agile, dynamic company and this job description isn't meant to be a complete list of your qualifications or all of the things you'll do.
Trineo is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, genetic information, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status.
We have a comprehensive benefits package which includes generous Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance, a free Eco Pass, Simple IRA option, generous PTO, flexibility, bi-weekly in-house massage and the opportunity to travel to global Trineo offices. And we have a great location on West Pearl in downtown Boulder.