Senior Software Engineer 1
With offices in Sydney, Christchurch, Auckland, and Boulder, Trineo delivers custom technology solutions for global organisations. Our work tackles system integration and data brokering, API development, and highly specific customer and employee applications. As an agile team, we present a complete service offering -- with senior advisory services, product and project management, business analysis, UX, and engineering. We’re known for our ability to ship valuable work into production in complex and challenging environments.
We believe the best work is done when everyone is aligned with shared values, no matter the different skill sets, experiences, and dreams we bring. Our culture is ever-changing, evolving with every new Trineo, but our ways of working are based on principles that remain steady.
Last but not least, Trineo is proudly a Certified B Corporation, joining the growing number of companies using business as a force for good. Certified B Corporations meet rigorous standards of verified social and environmental performance, public transparency, and legal accountability to balance purpose and profit. This enables us to put our values into action by not only making decisions for the benefit of our shareholders, but also for our customers, environment, employees, community and planet.
About the role
We’re looking for a Senior Software Engineer 1 to join our growing New Zealand team. Based in Christchurch, or remote in New Zealand, you will report to one of our Engineering Leads, and contribute to the successful delivery of software products for our customers, within one of our customer teams.
What you’ll do
- Be involved in the full software development life cycle, from feature planning and estimation, through development, to delivery and testing.
- Share your knowledge and learn from your team through pair programming and code review, taking and giving feedback appropriately.
- Communicate effectively with your team and customer. Know when it is required to push back on inappropriate specifications.
- Understand the non-functional implications (e.g., security and performance) of your work.
- Strive to do the best work you can.
- Live by and champion our culture.
- Adhere to agile delivery (Scrum/Kanban), continuous integration, test-driven development.
This position will not have direct reports but will require aspects of leadership for a specific client and/or development team. These aspects of leadership require an individual to demonstrate ownership of features which require research and a clear articulation of pros / cons of available implementation strategies. Furthermore, the role requires a consultative approach which seeks to develop a consensus on major decisions within the entire team (Trineo and our customers). Our point of view is that a decision made with research, peer review and collaboration is one which will have the most sustainable outcome for everyone.
If you’re a good candidate for this position, here are some characteristics you embody:
- Experience working across the entire stack
- Comfortable writing SQL queries, optimizing query performance and DB design.
- Experience with the development and consumption of APIs
- Experience with the development of frontend applications that consume aforementioned APIs
- Excellent working knowledge of Git
- Experience working with cloud hosting technologies (ie Heroku and AWS)
- Experience with optimizing high performance applications under significant load
- Thrive when working within an Agile team
- Enjoy working in a cross functional team composed of UX, BA, PM, Development
- Experience working with a distributed / remote team
Our typical stack and methodology:
- Data: Postgres, Redis
- Testing: Rspec, Capybara, Jest, CI, BrowserStack
- Infrastructure: a strong understanding of cloud platforms: Heroku, AWS componentry and a decent handle on Unix
- We also adhere to agile delivery (Scrum/Kanban), continuous integration, test driven development, consistent peer review and pair programming.
- Service Oriented and Monolithic Architecture.
- Identity Management (Authentication and Authorization).
- A thorough understanding of security principles, common exploits and an interest in recent advisories and corresponding mitigation strategies.
We're an agile, dynamic company and this job description isn't meant to be a complete list of your qualifications or all of the things you'll do.
Confidence can sometimes hold us back from applying for a job. But we'll let you in on a secret: there's no such thing as a 'perfect' candidate. Trineo is a place where everyone can grow. So however you identify, and whatever background you bring with you, please apply if this is a role that would make you excited to come into work every day.
Trineo is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, genetic information, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status.